Security Features for ICICI Bank Internet Banking
ICICI Bank employs a range of security features for its Internet Banking and other Channels. These measures extend from data encryption to firewalls. ICICI Bank uses the most advanced commercially available 128-bit Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology to ensure that the information exchanged between the customer's Computer and icicibank.com over the Internet is secure and cannot be accessed by any third party. SSL has been universally accepted on the World Wide Web for authenticated and encrypted communication between customers' computers and servers.
The firewall (virtual electronic fence that prevents unauthorized access to the Bank's servers), together with 128-bit SSL encryption technology, helps to provide some of the best security commercially available to keep your password, account details and other sensitive information protected during its transmission over the Internet.
As a security feature for the logged in section, users will be automatically logged out of the site in case there is no activity for 10 consecutive minutes.
Security anticipation using technological approach works best in conjunction with User participation to exercise caution while providing information or transacting through Internet.
ICICI Bank recommends following measures to all Internet Banking Users to ensure secured transactions.
Communication soliciting personal or other information
- Please do not reply/ respond to any communication, including email, SMS or phone calls representing to be from ICICI Bank and asking you to furnish any personal or other information, claiming that unless such information is furnished your account would be closed.
- Avoid sending or furnishing personal and financial information on email. Also prior to providing any information (financial or personal) on a website, verify the bona fides of the website, its address and of the owners/operators of such websites. Make sure that the URL (Uniform Resource Locator) that appears in the "address" or "location" box on your browser window is the one you wish to access.
Security Aspect For Online Shopping At Various Websites
Many websites provide an option of online shopping where a customer can select an item online and pay by entering his/ her Internet Banking User ID and Login/ Transaction Password. The websites use varying encryption standards and other security procedures for online transactions.
ICICI Bank recommends following measures to all Internet Banking Users to ensure secured transactions whilst shopping online.
- Verify the bona fides of the website, its address and of the owners/operators of such websites. If you suspect a website is not what it purports to be, leave the website. Do not follow any of the instructions as mentioned on that website.
Websites intended for transactions, including online shopping do generally request provision of information such as Name, Postal Address, E-mail ID, for delivery of the items as you have purchased at the website. However, if you are requested to furnish/ provide information which may not be relevant to the specific transaction that you propose to undertake, please do not provide such details on such website.
- Maintain records of the website address, URL and all the reference numbers given with respect to your online transactions, and of the contact details of the website owner/ operator.
Security of your Internet Banking User ID and Password
To enhance the security in conducting banking and other transactions, it is recommended that you adopt the following practices:
- Change your Password (Login and Transaction) after your first login and thereafter at least once in a month.
- Please create and maintain different passwords for Login and for Transactions. This provides additional security for financial transactions through Internet Banking.
- You password should be complex and difficult for others to guess. Use letters, numbers and special characters [such as !,@, #,$, %, ^, &,* (, )] in your passwords. These increase the security of the passwords.
- If you are accessing any website (including ICICIBank.lk) from cyber cafe, any shared computer or from a computer other than that of your own, please change your passwords after such use from your own PC at workplace or at house. It is very important to do so especially when you have entered your transaction password from such shared computer or cyber cafe computer. Change these Passwords from your own PC at workplace or at house.
- Destroy the PIN mailer after memorizing it and/or change such PIN if the option is available for the same. Keep your PIN a secret and do not disclose it to anyone or write it down in a place which could be accessed by anyone else.
- Do not hand over your ATM/ Debit Card or Credit Card to anyone as it provides access to ATM/Debit Card number, which can be used by such person.
General Tips on Internet Security
- Open e-mails only when you know the sender. Take special care while opening attachments as it may carry a virus.
- Be very sure of the website address. A website address is reflected on your Internet Browser. This check is recommended every time you provide any information about yourself.
- Look for the padlock symbol at the bottom right of a web page to ensure the site is running in secure mode BEFORE you input sensitive information.
- Make sure that your computer is protected with Anti-virus and you have latest anti-virus software. Anti-virus software needs frequent updates to guard against new viruses. Such general updates are usually available Free of Cost from Service Providers.
- If possible, install a personal firewall to help prevent unauthorized access to your home computer, especially if you connect through a cable or DSL modem.
- Do not keep computers online when not in use. Either shut them off or physically disconnect them from Internet connection.
- Monitor your transactions. Review your order confirmations, credit card, and bank statements as soon as you receive them to make sure that you are being charged only for transactions you have made. Immediately inform us about any irregularities.
- Review Credit Card and Bank Account statements as soon as you receive them to determine whether any charges have been billed to you which you are not aware of. In case you suspect any unauthorized usage please get your Credit Card/ Debit Card blocked immediately so as to avoid further misuse of it..